Monday, April 6, 2009

Chilling Kaiju Image: WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS



The image above comes from WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, and after watching Classic Media's recent DVD, I found that this moment still manages to unsettle me. Kaiju films tend to inspire more "wonder" than "horror," but director Ishiro Honda no doubt hoped to rattle our psyches with this film, especially when this creature gazes hungrily up at a fisherman from the depths of the ocean. The still image arguably does not do justice to the way this moment plays on film, as the ripples of the water further distort the monster's grotesque appearance. Having previously only seen the American cut of the film, I found the film even more satisfying as a sequel to FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, as the Japanese cut plainly presents itself. This is a film we can continue to savor, as it adds further layers to Frankenstein lore by imagining creatures spawned from the original's fragmented cells. The passage of time seems to have served this film especially well as we see our current advances in science and medicine reflected back to us in the form of this kaiju nightmare.

8 comments:

Steve Ring said...

I remember when I was a kid how freaked out I was by the part where the green gargantua chews the woman up and spits out her blouse.

Infinite Green 28 said...

when I was 11 or 12 I bought that film on VHS and the two things that blew my mind was Gaira's fight with the octopus in the beginning and Gaira staring at the fisherman from underwater. The latter part was so eery and creepy I've never thought I'd see something like that in a kaiju film. Oh and I adore the classic media release too!

The Headless Werewolf said...

Both of you bring up some wonderfully gruesome and eerie moments in this film. This is certainly one of Honda's best efforts

Pierre Fournier said...

Terrific screencap. Chilling, indeed

The Headless Werewolf said...

Thanks, Pierre, for posting the screencap on Monster Crazy!

Coop said...

Please check out my blog http://apatchworkofflesh.blogspot.com/ for details of a Frankenstein art project I am running. I'd love the involvement of you and your readers.

The Headless Werewolf said...

Fun blog! I especially like the image of Poe as the monster.

Ivan said...

WOW! Thanks! That's one of my fave creepy images.
I've only seen the old TV pan-&-scan version of WOTG and am looking forward to the this new DVD.

Great site, keep up the good work!