Friday, June 20, 2008

Death Ships


Avast! Get yer tushes over to Final Girl and read Stacie's review of DEATH SHIP, perhaps the pinnacle of killer cruise ship movies with what is undoubtedly the greatest blood shower ever filmed. Her review put me in mind of our recent family trip to Southern California, where we ventured aboard the Queen Mary, one of the most haunted ships in the world. We ended up spending a whole afternoon aboard the ship, taking the ghost tour, as well as indulging in the "enhanced" experience that takes you into the eerie bow of the ship. The setting, combined with sound, light, and fog effects, left us all quivering, especially when the tour culminated in a simulated collision with another boat, causing water to flow through the hull. I have to say that it was one of the most effective "haunted attractions" I've ever experienced.

During our tour of the creepy, rusty boiler room, I took a picture that might be an orb, or it might (he admits sheepishly) be my thumb. I prefer to think it's an orb, but I'll let you be the judge. (You can find it at the top of this post.) Just don't spoil my illusions!

For more on the Queen Mary, go to www.queenmary.com

No comments: